Change the root SSH password
You can login to your Obelisk through SSH, otherwise known as Secure Shell. SSH, a secure connection, provides a safe way to login to a device through the internet, an insecure connection.
You can access your device through SSH using a command line interface (CLI). Your operating system has a built-in CLI. Find yours below.
Windows operating systems use an app called Command Prompt. You can find this from your Windows button or the built-in search function. Make sure you right click the app and select "Run as administrator". While newer versions of Windows allow you to access SSH without any additional software, your version might require installing OpenSSH or a similar app.
MacOS uses Terminal. Terminal is located in Applications > Utilities. Alternatively, search using Spotlight.
Most Linux operating systems also use Terminal. You can access this in your programs folder or by pressing
- First, you'll need to figure out your Obelisk's IP address.
- Then launch the CLI for your operating system.
ssh root@yourObeliskIPaddress. Press Enter/Return.You may see a warning regarding the authenticity of the IP address you just typed. As long as you've confirmed that the IP address you're using is the IP address of your Obelisk, you can continue by typing
yesand pressing Enter/Return.
- Enter your password and press Enter/Return. The default password is
obelisk. Note that for security purposes, your password will not show on screen as you type.
- A successful login will be accepted, and you'll see the
#symbol on the next line.
- If this is a Gen 2 Obelisk, the file system is locked by default and you will need to run the following command to unlock it before proceeding to the next step:
mount -o remount,rw /
- Use the command
passwdand press Enter/Return to activate the password reset tool. You'll automatically be prompted to enter your new password. Note that for security purposes, your password will not show on screen as you type. Press Enter/Return again after typing your new password.
- You'll immediately be asked to confirm your new password by retyping it. Press Enter/Return when finished. Again, your password will not show on screen as you type.
- A confirmation will appear on the next line. Your password is now changed.
exitto quit out of SSH. That's it!