Adding a third board to your Gen 1 Obelisk
Use these instructions if you bought an additional hash board for your Gen 1 miner, or are just consolidating boards into a single unit.
About 10 minutes.
Things you'll need
- A Phillips-head (cross-headed) screwdriver
- An ESD (electrostatic discharge) safe surface to work on
Partially disassemble your Obelisk
You need to take the top off of your miner to access the connections for the third board.
- Power off your unit and unplug the power cables from the top of the miner.
- Unplug the Ethernet cable from the front of the miner.
- Remove the four top case screws. There are two on each long side of the device.
- Take the top black cover off. This will expose the device internals.
Snap the airflow guides off
- If your miner is oriented like ours is in the image above, you should be able to see that the third board needs to be slotted in closest to you. Don't try to put it in yet though, there are two pieces of metal that you to snap off first.These pieces of metal are airflow guides. When you only have two boards, they force the cooling air from the fans away from the empty space – you'd rather your fans cool hot boards than unoccupied air. But when you install a third board, you need to break them off to make room, and so that your fans cool all three boards. Luckily, they're designed to break off easily.
- Take one finger and place it behind the airflow guide. Bend your finger toward you so that the airflow guide bends outwards.
- Once it's bent, just wiggle it back and forth until it snaps off. On the side pictured above, you have a little less room to work with because of the hash board connector at the bottom of the miner.
- Discard both pieces once they have snapped off.
- Insert your third hashing board. It only fits in one way, just like the other two that are in there. Make sure that it is connected to the control board at the bottom of the unit.
- Place the top black cover back on the device. Reattach the four top case screws.
- Reconnect the Ethernet cable.
- Reconnect the power cables, including the two for the third board you just installed.
- Power on the Obelisk and get back to hashing!